Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hawaiian Bread

I have been having fun making bread and decided to try my hand at Hawaiian bread since I love eating King's Hawaiian rolls.


Here is the recipe I followed:


1 (6 ounce) can of pineapple juice
2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast
3 cups all purpose flour, divided
1/2 cup warm 2% milk (100 - 110 degrees)
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray
2 tablespoons all purpose flour


Place pineapple juice in a medium sized microwave safe bowl.  Microwave at high 45 seconds or until 100 to 110 degrees.  Dissolve yeast in warm pineapple juice; let stand 5 minutes.


Place yeast mixture in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Add 1 cup of flour to yeast mixture; beat until combined.  Add warm milk, egg, sugar, butter, and salt, beating to combine.  Add 3 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined (dough will be very soft and sticky).  Beat at medium-low speed 2 minutes.  Scrape down sides of bowl.  Lightly coast sides of bowl with cooking spray.


Cover bowl with a damp towel.  Let dough rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or double in size.


(Gently press two fingers into dough.  If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Coat 2 (8") round pans with cooking spray; dust each pan with 1 tablespoon flour, Divide dough evenly between prepared pans.  cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.


I decided to use a smaller bowl for the proofing which worked fine.
After separating the dough into the pans, I discovered that my oven has a proofing function.  Since I have never used it before, I had to pull out the dreaded manual.  I turned it on and stuck the pans with the dough into the oven and set the timer for 45 minutes.


I then took them out and heated the oven and then baked the bread for 30 minutes.
They didn't exactly fill out the pans, but the consistency was good but the taste was off.  Val had a bite and stated it seemed just like King's Hawaiian bread.


The bread is tasty but just did not meet my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment