Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mushrooms and Red Kale

In this month's farm box, I got some cool mushrooms and red kale.  I found this recipe which seemed fairly simple and I had all the ingredients in the house.

I did add some crimini mushrooms for something else that I had some left overs from so I added that as well.  The recipe calls for garlic cloves, but the farm box also had some green garlic so I used that instead.

Here is the browning step with butter and olive oil with the garlic and mushrooms.
I then added the red kale leaves and the red wine.
The pan simmered for about 8 minutes and I found that the greens really reduced.
I think the greens could have cooked a bit longer since they were still pretty fibrous and chewy or it could be that red kale is a bit hardier than regular kale.  I will be heating it up again so maybe it will become a bit softer.  Overall, very tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. I always underestimate how much cooking kale needs.

    ReplyDelete