Monday, August 25, 2014

Oxtail Stew

I happened upon this recipe for oxtail stew and decided to try it out and see if it is anything like what my Dad makes.

I didn't have everything so I substituted jalapeño for the thai chili and I didn't quite have enough of the sherry so I added a bit of marsala.

I also used my new Lodge cast iron dutch oven and the browning of the oxtails went really well.
After a few rounds, I ended up with this platter.
I then added the rest of the ingredients to the dutch oven after draining almost all of the fat and brought it to a boil.
I added the oxtails back in the pot.
And once covered, it went into the oven at 300 degrees.  After 90 minutes, this is what it looked like.
Once the oxtails were flipped, it went back in covered for another 90 minutes.
The house smells divine.

The mushrooms were added after and coated with the "juice" and then heated for 10 minutes.
Oxtail stew over rice.  It had just the right amount of caramelization.

1 comment: