Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Serger Class - Coverstitch

I attended my second "learn about my serger" class at Sewing Machines Plus and it was all about cover stitch.

We started with a refresher about threading our machines and then cut some strips from the fabric we were asked to bring.

The first was making a belt loop which could also be used for any strapping.  The feet and guides that came with my machine are just short of amazing to say the least.

A foot that I was missing was the cover/chain stitch foot which I ended up buying.
We also used the 3/4" belt loop binder.
The real trick was to cut the strip as a liberal 7/8" and make a pointed cut at the start and thread the strip through the guide before attaching.  There is a little fussing to ensure your stitches are centered as shown in my sample.
The settings were made to machine at the beginning of class and did not change.
Next we used the 1 1/2" belt loop binder for a wider strap and also moved one of the needles.
We then moved to hems with a variety of guides to do essentially the same thing.
I also did not have this guide and it was difficult for me to line up and make sure the hem was secure.  I decided not to purchase this guide.

Last we worked on a binder which was awesome using another special guide.  It was a bit fussy to set up but once done, seaming and binding all in one.
I also purchased a stand for my serger.
Another successful learning opportunity.  Next up is a 3 day boot camp next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment