Sunday, August 9, 2015

New Supper Club

Inaugural meeting of the new supper club had a Hawaiian theme as I prepared a slow cooker Kalua pig.

After lining the slow cooker with banana leaves and bacon
and adding salted pork with garlic cloves in slits and covered with bacon and another leaf, it started its slow cook.
After 14 hours and testing the doneness of the pork, I left it to warm until dinner.  It shredded easily and was a bit salty.
I then started the prep for the poi with pealing the taro root and then boiling it for mashing.  After draining and cooling, I used the vitamix to blend the chunks with water.  I think the taro killed the Vitamix.  I had to switch to the food processor.
Jan brought a tomato tart and corn with rice and chard with brownies for dessert.
Grace brought macaroni salad with a twist but didn't have time for the bruschetta so we just ate the topping.
Yaling contributed peach and kiwi salad.
Karen made Hawaiian fruit punch cake.
Elizabeth brought gelato, wine, and pineapple balsamic for the coconut gelato.
Great start to a new endeavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment