Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hill Country Fiber Retreat

I was fortunate enough to attend a week long fiber retreat with Judith MacKenzie in Hunt, Texas learning to spin blended fibers for warmer climates.  The retreat exceeded my expectations and a major part of that was the people in attendance.  It is nice to be with people with the same fiber obsession.

Here is a summary of the week which included spinning, carding, dyeing, spindling, playing, chatting, and learning all kinds of nifty stuff.  
Judith allowed us all to choose a bump of polworth silk that she dyed from the rainbow.


I of course chose - 
She also gifted a skein of bison yarn to each participate which I dyed in a worker red bath as well as parts in an indigo bath.
I stuck to my goal of not buying any yarn, but I was lucky (since everyone won) to win some yarn.  Arrival prize included a skein of Madelinetosh Prairie in the Malachite color, a green mini crochet hook, and a mini Quileute reed/cedar basket.
I also made my monthly purchases here including two bumps of 80/10/10 Fine SW merino/cashmere/nylon blend in a green color which equaled a pound of fiber and another two bumps of 50/50 Merino/tencel - one in grey and the other in red for another pound of fiber from Alisha Goes Around.
From Lucky Cat Crafts, I also obtained 5 ounces of 55/28/17 Cashmere/muga silk/new zealand possum as well as 4 ounces of eri silk.  I thought I was done until Judith tempted me with possum and I had a get some of that as well for blending.
The goodbye prize consisted of 1772 yards of Wollmeise lace yarn in the color of the year which is green.  I am finally going to be in fashion.
The place is a bit remote and cell service was nonexistent and wifi could be had in the office which was a bit of a hike, but the scenery was beautiful and there was only one really hot day.

I also succumbed to Alisha's lotion, soap, and sugar scrubs as well as two of her pottery pieces.
It was sad to see everyone packing up to go home.  I don't miss the bugs nor sleeping on a twin bed but I had a blast.  I will have to contemplate next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment