Friday, June 28, 2013

Black Sheep Gathering

I attended the Black Sheep Gathering in Oregon and had a great time with my peeps.  I decided not to sign up for classes as I did a couple of years ago and just absorb the judging of fleece and fiber arts.  I also stimulated the economy quite a bit with all the vendors.

The trip started with an all day drive to Sacramento where I stayed with my parents and we went to the Elephant Bar for dinner.  Early the next morning, after meeting up with Jude, we all piled in the car with all our luggage and headed up to Oregon.  It was a pretty tight fit with three people and an assortment of luggage.

Eugene was cool and rainy when we arrived in the evening and we settled into our hotel and went down the street a bit to Chingu Korean Restaurant.  I had the stone bowl bibimbop which was delicious.  The girls had the beef bulgogi and the jap-chae.
The next morning was the open bell for the vendors and I got to my first purchase of a sheep pelt from Whipple Creek Sheepskins for my loom bench.  It is super soft and thick.  While, Jude hit the Abstract Fiber booth.
I was able to show them my SOAR socks which they took pictures of.  Their fiber colors are still vibrant.
The day continued with purchases interspersed with viewing the fleece judging by Judith MacKenzie and fiber arts judging by Cynthia Herron.
I also was able to hook up with some pals from my local spin group as well as some gals from the Texas Fiber retreat I attended in March.  Fun group of friends and all enablers for more tools and fiber.

We also hit Poppi Anatolia for dinner and I had the gyros platter which was way too much food.  We sat outside since the weather was so nice.
The last night we also found a mexican taqueria - Belly where I had a delicious lamb and quinoa dish over zucchini.
It was a great weekend with lots of fun and fiber.
The charge card finally gave a sigh of relief when the weekend was over and the long road trip home began.

1 comment: