Friday, July 4, 2014

Prime Rib Roast - Take 1

My dad is famous for his prime rib roast that I grew up on and still indulge in once per year during the holidays.  I decided to try my hand and it and used two different recipes to try to duplicate his roast.

I tried it on a small choice roast.
That the butcher was kind enough to cut off the bone and tie up for me.  I pulled it out a couple of hours before roasting so it could reach room temperature.

The first recipe is Perfect Prime Rib with Red Wine Jus that I also paired with Standing Rib Roast.

I mixed up some rosemary and garlic with cayenne pepper for the rub.
I layered the pan with carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, and crimini mushrooms with rosemary and bay leaves with a wine/chicken broth combination.
I placed the rubbed roast on top of the vegetables.
I stuck it in the oven at 200 degrees with a meat thermometer to ensure it got to the right temperature.  I used the convection setting and it took a little over 3 hours.
10 minutes before eating, I placed the roast back in the oven at 500 degrees still in convection mode and got a really nice crust.
The meat was still a bit too red for me so I might try to increase the temperature a bit more during the long slow roast.  The vegetables were not as tender as those that my dad gets so I need to work on that part as well.

The roast was tender and flavorful but I had to use the jus to cook slices a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment