Friday, October 22, 2010

Blankets and Rainy Days

It has been unseasonably cool and rainy here in San Diego.  As such, it brings the need for warm blankets while sitting around watching TV.  I was also reorganizing my yarn stash and found a bag of hand spun alpaca (it actually fell on my head).


I had spun this alpaca from fiber purchased from Hazard Alpaca when I went to Alpaca Farm Days here and I purchased some dark chocolate and light tan colored fiber.  My goal was to knit a Hemlock Ring Blanket by Jared Flood after seeing a picture of said blanket in an old catalog from Webs Yarn Store.


I had also just started my spinning class at Helix Adult School and grandly announced my goal of knitting with my own hand spun yarn.  I think I added this pattern to my queue back in September 2008 and now it is the time to get it started.


I believe I was intimidated by the pattern and the finicky crochet cast on since it is a blanket knit in a circle but after this past year of doing a knit-a-long with the Evenstar Shawl (it is still not finished), it was fairly easy once I re-familiarized myself with the cast on.  The internet is a great thing!


Here is the yarn - it is a barber pole effect from the dark and light plied together.


Here is the start of the circle.
I'm just imagining how warm it will be - hopefully it will stay cool through the winter months but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment