Friday, October 1, 2010

Book Club Redux

I belong to a book club that was started quite a while back with the human resources department at the Navy.  I was not part of the original group and I think the first book I read with the group was The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan.


Quite a number of years had passed and many of the participants have retired from the Navy and it has been harder to keep the club on track.  After an early spring meet, the club sort of faded with no one taking the initiative to select the next book for the summer.


My friend Val decided to take a stand and sent out a reminder stating, "How important are friends and how much do they add to the quality and quantity of life?  Yes, very important and according to the experts, our lives are better and longer for having lots of friends.  SO LET'S NOT GIVE UP ON OUR BOOK CLUB!"


She recommended "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick as our next read for November.


I have reserved the book from the library and am waiting for retrieval.


The San Diego Public Library System has a great website and search engine so you can search the archives and reserve any book, dvd, and audio recording and have it transported to your nearest library for pick-up.  The reserve fee is $1.00 but since I volunteer there each week, they waive my fee.  It is a great way to read new books without expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment