Saturday, October 2, 2010

Warping and Weaving

I attended a Sheep to Shawl event at the Bonita museum and brought my warping board and my Ashford table loom for some instruction.


Beth was kind enough to provide me with a warp for my loom Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool from Michaels and taught me how to dress my loom for weaving.  I learned that it takes a village to put the warp on the loom and that the Ashford back beam needs to be wound in a counter clockwise direction for the brake to work correctly.  It was frustrating to have the warp loosen up every time I tried to sley the heddles and the reed.

I learned a few tricks on using lease sticks and centering the warp on the reed.  I neglected to push the heddles in the right direction before warping and had to add heddles in the middle of warping the loom.

At the end of the day, the loom was warped and when I got home, I started the weaving process.  I know that I'm definitely in the camp of weaving and not warping.

Beth set up the warp so I could follow a two color tabby which is on pages 50 and 51 of the "Handweaver's Pattern Directory" by Anne Dixon.  Once I started weaving, I discovered that I did not follow the warp exactly and my patterning is not quite the same as the book's pictures.  It definitely is a learning experience!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment