Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Yarn Calculation Failure

I still have no idea how to calculate the amount of yarn that I need to knit a sweater.....

At the beginning of this month, I decided that I absolutely had to start knitting the Dacite cardigan by Carol Feller.  I looked through my stash and found this Malabrigo Rios that I have been saving for a special project (this yarn is one of my favorites).
I pulled out all the skeins and only had 6 total.  I reviewed the pattern and for my size, I really needed 7 skeins.  So I went off to my LYS to add one skein which did not work out at all because the dye lot was so different.

I talked here about my yarn purchase for this sweater as well as a couple of other things.

I started knitting the sweater and because it was knit on US 9 needles, it went pretty fast.  I continued the sweater even adding a couple of extra inches in the length of the body.  I also knitted both of the sleeves and made the sleeves a bit longer than called for.

Here is what was left at the end of the knitting.
I could have used my original yarn and kept to my yarn diet.  I was at knit group and was talking about my miscalculation and was told that if I had not purchased the yarn and knit with my original 6 skeins, I was sure to run out of yarn.  In the knitting universe, this makes total sense.

Here is my finished sweater.  I still need to find 2 buttons that would be perfect for this sweater and it is super soft and cozy.
Sadly, the temperatures are heading up to be in the 80s so I will need to put the sweater away until the temperatures start coming down.

1 comment:

  1. Maggie, that garment looks fabulous! I don't always love how variegated skeins turn out but that works. Really, really works. Bring on Winter so you can wear it out and about!

    ReplyDelete