Sunday, March 4, 2012

Handspun Yarn for the Featherweight Cardigan

A while back, I started to knit the Featherweight Cardigan with some variegated pink and white lace weight yarn I bought in Alaska.  I got almost through the body of the cardigan and found that I really didn't like the material being knitted as it was very loose and holey.  Also, the color pooling looked strange.


The unfinished sweater sat around for months and months and I never got the desire to finish it.
I ended up frogging the unfinished sweater and re-skeined the yarn.  Plus I put it through a wash cycle and the pinks really bled out.  I had this problem before with the company's yarn so I will need to reset the dye on all these skeins before knitting with them again.


When I was clearing away some clutter, I found 12 ounces of BFL fiber from a destash I got from Miss Babs.  The colors included greens and purples and were prepared in three large batts.


I started spinning these batts when I bought my Matchless spinning wheel a number of years ago and never finished spinning the last batt.


I finally finished spinning the fiber and plied three strands together and got a nice heavy fingering weight yarn for about 864 yards.
I started to knit the featherweight cardigan again with this hand spun yarn and liked the fabric much better and the colors are muted enough and the fiber is very soft.
I hope I have enough to get through at least the body and some of the sleeves.  The gals from my spin group recommended that I could use a contrasting color for the button band and the cuffs.  I do have quite a bit of BFL in my closet ready to dye if needed.

1 comment: