Monday, March 26, 2012

Short Rows Tutorial

I would admit that I'm an intermediate knitter but have never really used short rows for shaping.  Since my shape is pretty much up and down without curves, I never really had to worry too much about adapting patterns for fit.


The only place where the term "short rows" rung a bell was with sock heel shaping.  This is where you wrap and turn and then pick up the wraps to come with a cup shape for your heel.


I started working on my Mithril Vest and in the middle of the pattern, short rows came up and I could not wrap my head around the instructions on how this was suppose to work.


Off I went to knit group and I picked the brains of some of the more experienced knitters to help decipher the code.  After walking through a few rows, the light bulb finally went off and I "got" it.


I prepared a video on doing the short rows for the vest.  The technique is very handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment