Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Handspun Handwoven Shawl Project

I have been involved with quite a few sheep to shawl demonstrations and I did not have the good luck to win one of the completed shawls.


With my bad luck at winning things, I decided that I would tackle spinning and weaving my own shawl.


One of my new favorite fibers is Polworth and I have some in white and a brown/gray.  The white is in prepared top form and the brown/gray is cleaned locks.


I also decided to add some color - my favorite green, of course.  I did buy some electric green Romney when I was at Black Sheep Gathering last June and decided to prepare those locks by combing.
I am using my new Forsyth combs to prepare the fiber.


The green Romney - locks, combed, spun singles.
The Polworth - locks, combed, and spun singles.
I'm aiming for a DK weight 2-ply yarn and I'm contemplating a plain weave with some stripes in brown/gray and green with the majority being white.


It will probably be a multi-year project since my looms are busy right now.

1 comment:

  1. I just love combing wool... That green is terrific! Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete