Monday, April 23, 2012

Pepper vs. Coyotes

Spent a pretty restful Sunday prepping, cooking and doing chores on a overcast day.


A rather uneventful day until 9:30 pm when Bailey sent up an alert out in the backyard.  When I went out to check to see what the ruckus was about, there were four coyotes milling around the lower fence with a silent Pepper.


My flashlight scared them away with Bailey standing at the top of the yard barking like a fiend.


When Pepper came back up, I noticed blood dripping and her side was all red.  When I checked her over, it seems that her right ear tip had been torn off.  I'm not sure how exactly this happened but I couldn't get the blood to stop.


Off we went to the Animal ER of which Pepper is no stranger.  She is the only one that only gets sick or hurt on weekends and nights.  Her file was pulled up with no problem and she went in to have her ear tip cut and sutured.  


Here is her sutured ear.
And Ms. Conehead will be around for 14 days.
Home by 11:00 pm and needless to say, the upper gate is now closed.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Pepper escaped with a minor injury, poor thing. Did you ask Bailey why he didn't go down to help Pepper out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he decided he did his job by letting me know what was going on. He wasn't setting one paw beyond the upper gate until the danger passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! She could have been killed by those hungry creature! And poor Pepper wearing the cone of shame. No she will look like a feral cat who's been trapped and neutered with an identifying ear tip! Man, those coyotes are pretty brazen and I wonder if Pepper would have run up to the back yard they would have followed?

    ReplyDelete