Sunday, February 10, 2013

Robert Matsui

When I was in high school in Sacramento, I took an internship in lieu of civics class and my internship was with Congressman Robert Matsui's office.

I was required to be dressed up and I supported the receptionist in answering phones and providing tickets to the sights in Washington to his constituents.  I also combed the papers and wrote letters on behalf of the Congressman for congratulations as well as sympathy.  I also got to be involved in the recommendation process for the military academies.

I also got a good introduction to public service by working an entire semester in his office and also got a good look at what happens when you have to call the Federal police when an unruly person came into the office.

I met a great group of people and was sad to see my internship end when the school year was over and I graduated from high school.

My family has always lived in his district and it was an honor to work for him.  A few years later, I was able to call on my old colleagues for tickets to the White House for my parents when they came to the nation's capitol to visit me.

I was sadden to hear that he had passed away but his wife was able to take over his seat in Congress and still serves to this day.

On my last trip to Sacramento, I had a meeting at the Federal Building and this is what I saw when I walked up to the building.
It is so lovely to know that a wonderful man that I worked for is so honored.

As I left the building after my meeting, I happened upon this plaque.
Indeed, a Good and Decent Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment