Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pocket Wheel Spinning

I posted about borrowing the pocket wheel from my friend Jan to see if I liked it here.
To test it out using both types of flyers, I pulled out some hand dyed Blue Faced Leicester that I got from hannahbelle when she sent me the fiber with my spindle purchase.

I spun this with the regular flyer and it was a little fiddly.  There was not really enough fiber and it looked very nice spun up.  I took the little wheel to knit group at Starbucks and it got quite a few looks.

I dug around my stash pile and found some Louet Dark Blue Faced Leicester that I purchased at the Riverside weaving conference last year.
This fiber was heavenly and spun up like butter.  I used the WooLee Winder flyer for this fiber and I have fallen in love with this flyer.

Here are the two bobbins of fiber that I plied together.
I decided to ply these bobbins on my Hansen mSpinner using the new plying techniques that I learned from Judith MacKenzie from her Gentle Art of Plying DVD.
Here is the resulting yarn.  I ended up with 193.5 yards of 12 wpi weighing 6 ounces.
I have decided that I'm not totally in love with the Pocket Wheel.  I heard a rumor that Schacht will be coming out with a travel wheel and I'm going to wait to see what that looks like.  In all reality, I don't need another wheel.

2 comments:

  1. Just because you don't need another wheel doesn't mean you don'tg WANT another one. LOL. It happens to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like falling down the rabbit hole!

    ReplyDelete