Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blooming Mystery KAL

With my recently acquired spinning knowledge from Judith MacKenzie and my new Woolee Winder for my miniSpinner, I decided to spin the light fingering yarn to participate in another KAL (knit-a-long).


The designer is Tiziana from Italy who recently provided a free Orenburg lace shawl pattern called Sea of Azov.  I knit this shawl with an alpaca yarn from Knit Picks.
I need between 656 to 710 yards of yarn and I decided to use a merino/bamboo/silk prepared top in white to spin this yarn.  The fiber came from Fluffysgarden, my fiber pusher and it is soft and luxurious.  Here is the first skein of yarn I spun on my miniSpinner.
The knit-a-long will start in February and if I work at it, I should be able to have the yarn spun up in time.


There is still time to join the KAL if you are up to the challenge.  I really like the Orenburg style since it is all knit with no purls and no extra steps for the borders.  Everything is knit continuously.


The swatch pattern came out and I wound up some of the yarn above and started to knit.  I'm sad to say that it looks like the shawl will not follow the Orenburg pattern.  There are quite a few purl rows so far.


Here is the swatch washed and blocked.  It is still a pretty pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment