Friday, February 11, 2011

Qiviut - Yum!

There exists in the world this wonderfully soft and hard to come by fiber called Qiviut.  You can read more about it here.  When I was up in Alaska, I saw small balls of this yarn - I'm talking about 1 ounce of yarn for $98.00.  It is rare and luxurious.


This week at spin class, Donna shared a ball of this yarn that her sister sent to her for Christmas.  It seems a little late for holiday presents but if someone was giving me some of this yarn, I would proclaim it Christmas any day of the year.


Here is the yarn.  It is a blend of 50% Qiviut and 50% Mulberry Silk.
You may wonder why I'm in possession of this astronomically expense luxury yarn.  The reason is that Donna believes that I'm an incredibly gifted lace knitter and she is commissioning me to knit her a scarf out of this yarn.  I'm not going to disabuse her of that belief!


This is the pattern she chose.  It is called Dimma (which is Swedish for mist) and should be a very pretty lace scarf.  There is no deadline so I can caress this yarn for quite a while.  The best of both worlds - knitting with luxury without the expense.

1 comment:

  1. I have a skein of this, but can't for the life of me work out what to make with it. I can't wait to hear about knitting with it.

    ReplyDelete