Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cotton

I have always had a fascination with cotton.  I love soft cotton pjs, a rainbow assortment of cotton t-shirts, and high thread count sheets.


In my knitting, I have always purchased cotton yarn even when I learned to spin my own yarn.  I figured it was too difficult to spin enough cotton yarn to make anything with.


That sort of all changed when I got my book charkha and with some upland cotton sliver, I figured out it wasn't super hard.
I recently took a class with Celia Quinn in her comprehensive class here in San Diego and it was a three day intensive workshop.  I'll post again on things I learned, but I really was interested in the cotton spinning.


She gave us quite a few samples including some cotton bolls to spin from and I spun cotton on a loaned tahkli spindle as well as my charkha.


One of the students actually planted some cotton seeds and I took these pictures of her plants.
The cotton pod looks like this.
And when the pod opens - the cotton boll.
I want to plant some cotton.....

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooo, I love cotton everything too! All of my yarn is cotton....except for the occasional acrylic (I know, cringe...).
    I'd love to learn to spin my own cotton and I wonder if I could grow cotton here in VA???
    Very cool. I'll be watching to see how you get on with the cotton and spinning!
    Martha

    ReplyDelete