Sunday, December 4, 2011

Knitting a Sock with Cat Bordhi

I was extremely lucky to take a class with Cat Bordhi on knitting socks.  The class was held at Yarning For You, a local yarn shop (well not that local to me) but close enough to spend a whole day there.


Cat walked us through the New Pathways sock architecture and we knit a baby sock with a garter toe.  But she first had us practice the heel.


Here is my result - I did one heel turn and then picked up the stitches on the other side and knit another heel.  The result was a little cap for a water bottle.
We then moved to discussing sock architecture and Cat has a great big sock to illustrate the different parts where changes are happening.  The colored areas are where changes occur.
Next, we started to knit a baby sock.  I used some of the left over yarn I had from the Bosnian slipper sock and used US 4 needles.


Here is my baby sock with Cat's book.  I used Judy's Magic Cast On and Jenny's Stretchy Bind Off with Cat's knitted sock instructions.  It takes a village.
Cat has a new book out that is only available in an ebook format.  It is called Cat's Sweet Tomato Heel Socks and is available for purchase now.


Cat also has a great mobius hat called Anemone and here I am modeling it with Cat.  It was a great class with mind blowing tips.  If you have a chance to take a class with her, I highly recommend it.
Of course, I had to shop at the store and they had a model of the Whippoorwill using Frog Tree Pediboo sock yarn.  I got the pattern and colors in green and brown for my next project.

1 comment:

  1. Mags-Love the crazy hat and I really mean it. It is adorable. Are those hard to make?

    ReplyDelete