Monday, January 14, 2013

Flu - The Scare

There has been a big push by the news media for everyone to get a flu shot.  Looking at the nationwide map the past week or so, all you could see were the states covered in red as it moves across from east to west.

I have had only one flu shot in my life and I chalk it up to not having much exposure.  I pretty much avoid crowds, have no contact with children, and work by myself most of the time.

However, I am taking on a new trainee and will be on the road and in the air for the next few months so I decided to take some preventative measures and get a shot.

I called around and decided to go to a store as opposed to a doctor's office where there are sick people hanging around the waiting room.  My recollection of my last shot was not so good as I felt pretty sick after getting it.  I am assured by people in the "know" that I cannot get the flu from the shot and they told me that it was probably being around sick people when I got my first one.

This time, I decided to go to the CVS around the corner and there were no sick people waiting around.  The pharmacist was a cool dude and the shot did hurt a bit while it was going in.  He stated I might have some aches and muscle fatigue but I could take some ibuprofen for it if necessary.  Even with my high deductible health plan, I was able to get the shot for free.

Fingers crossed that the flu will pass me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment