Saturday, October 1, 2011

Needle Review

In the past few months, I have been knitting lace and socks.  As such, I have used a bunch of different needles and have decided to do a little review.


I usually use circular needles and mostly interchangeable circulars.


I have the following needle sets:
(Left to Right) Knit Picks Options - Nickel, Knit Picks Options - Harmony, Knit Picks Options - Zephyr, Addi Clicks, and KA Switch Classic Bamboo


Here is a comparison of the joins.
I really like the swivel action on the KA Switch Classic Bamboo set.  That way the cord never kinks.


I also have fixed circulars that I have been using for socks in the following needles:
(Left to Right) Knit Picks Nickel, Addi Turbo, Chiao Goo Red Lace, and Kollage Square


You can see that the points of the needles are pretty similar since I like pointy tips.  I had tried the Hiya Hiya interchangeable set and found the points a bit dull.


For my preference on the cords for the fixed circulars, I have ranked in the order of preference.


1.  Chiao Goo Red Lace - these cords are stiff and the join is smooth.  The cord has no memory and is very easy manipulate.


2.  Addi Turbo and Knit Picks Nickel - these cords are about the same.  The join is smooth but the cords have memory and are sometimes awkward to move stitches on.  I have the adjust them every row or so.


3.  Kollage Square - these cords are very flimsy.  I'm almost afraid that the cord would just detach from the tips.  I have two sizes - US 1 (2.25mm) and US 3 (3.25mm).  The cord on the larger needles is a bit thicker but by no means any sturdier.  I do like the square needle tips.
I have been hearing about how great Signature needles are with their very pointed tips.  The fixed circulars also have the same swivel action as the KA needles.


Here are the Signatures with the Chiao Goo Red Lace needles.
The Signatures are a US 6 (4.00mm) and the points are almost the same as the US 2 (2.75mm) Chiao Goo tips.  I have not knit with the Signatures as yet so I have nothing to report on them at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment