Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year - Water Dragon

Happy Chinese New Year!  It is the year of the water dragon.

I am back home after an extended work trip which I will write about as the days progress.  I was lucky enough to come home just in time for supper club with my peeps, Janet, Amy and Kim.

We celebrated with a Chinese New Year dinner which included General's chicken, egg drop soup, fried rice, pork and cabbage dumplings and almond sponge cake.

We used the recipes from this site and I left it up to everyone to choose what they wanted to make or bringing any other dish that would help the celebration.  I can't believe that in the 11 years that we have been doing supper club, that we never had a theme for Chinese New Year.

I made the chicken and the recipe was not quite complete since it didn't list how much oil to use in the wok.  After just coating the wok, I believe that the chicken should have been deep fried.  Since that was too much oil, I did a stir fry instead and using the pan leavings in the sauce.
Kim was very ambitious in that she made the dumpling wrappers from scratch but the dough was a little sticky which made boiling them a bit messy.  The dumplings did taste good so no complaints except for the waste of the deformed dumplings.  
Janet brought the fried rice which was colorful as well as delicious.
Amy made the egg drop soup which she finished on the stove before serving.  She stated she added some bok choy and mushrooms so we would have vegetables.  The soup was a bit peppery with the white pepper she added.
I rounded out the dinner with the almond sponge cake which was a bit flat and as soon as I took it out of the pan, it deflated like yesterday's news.  The cake was tasty with almost everyone having seconds.
Here is the gang in the kitchen right before dinner.
Here is to having a great new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment