Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Spin Group

It seems so long since my last spin group - which was before Christmas.  I haven't even spun except for that little trial in Sacramento.


I decided to try my almond sponge cake again and this time it turned out much better.  I remembered to take the eggs out and warm them to room temperature and I made sure to figure out which mixing bowls fit with which beaters.  The whites beat for 6 minutes on high.


Here is the recipe that I used:


8 eggs (warm to room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil (I used vegetable)
1 cup cake flour, sifted with 1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon cream of tartar


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


Separate eggs (I have two mixing bowls for my KitchenAid mixer).  Add sugar and oil to yolks.  Beat yolk mixture for 5 minutes and add water gradually beating at low until all water is added then increasing speed to high for 7 minutes.  Add extract.  Add in flour mixture gradually then mix at medium speed until integrated.


Change bowls with whites and add cream of tartar.  Mix at high speed for 5 to 6 minutes until whites are stiff.


Fold batter into whites and mix well then pour into tube pan.  Bake for 60 minutes.  Cool for 2 hours inverted and remove from pan.


Here is the cake still in the pan.
Here it is after removal from the pan.
We also had tortilla soup, spring rolls, an onion casserole and a salad.
There were different wheels in attendance and here is a photo of the wheels just missing my miniSpinner.
I was able to ply 3 strands of fine singles that I plan to use to make the Featherweight Cardigan.  I had previously purchased 12 ounces of BFL from Miss Babbs on a destash.  It think the colors are well mixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment