Monday, May 27, 2013

New Weaving Studio

When I first started weaving, I quickly decided that I would not be happy until I upgraded to an 8-shaft floor loom with at least 36" in width.  On the inter webs, I went searching and made wish lists of everything that I would buy to build a weaving studio.  I made these lists, then discarded them and changed my mind multiple times and remade more lists.

Over the last few years, I have obtained some of the equipment and purchased, used, and sold some looms.  I even attended Convergence to research looms to see what was available and tried weaving on quite a few.  I thought I had settled on a model and just needed to save up the money and make the room.

A few used looms came up for sale around the area and I was unmoved to make the transaction happen and I thought to myself that maybe I didn't need a big floor loom after all.

That all changed on a chance view of the used equipment sale board on Ravelry.  It was just about bed time and I just happened to click on an ad for an 8-shaft Mighty Wolf studio residing in Southern California.  I had to see details and it took me to Joshua Tree and an almost brand new loom with all the related paraphernalia.  It was the universe giving me a smack down and I merrily contacted the seller and waited with baited breath.

The next morning after a few e-mails and a phone call, the transaction was completed.  It would take a couple of weeks before I could round up my posse (Shelly - who I enabled to buy a loom at Convergence) and we were on the road to make the pick up.

Joshua Tree is a little north of Palm Springs and the weather was beautiful and windy.  I saw joshua trees in person and on the way we saw a great wind farm.  The pass was very windy.
We stopped for lunch after a long drive at La Casita and I had the crab enchiladas.
We visited the loom and was able to weave a bit on it before it got folded up for transport.
We also toured Cindy's studio where she has a Toika mechanized loom and a Gilmore loom.  She also had a few spinning wheels and this one is beautiful.
With some help, we were able to maneuver it into the truck plus all the extra stuff.  
We made it back home and unloaded the loom and it is looking for some weaving.  
I'm so excited to have this studio package and I think the weaving universe is content for the moment so I can enjoy a little bit of weaving heaven.

Now I just need to start chanting "No more looms."

1 comment:

  1. No more looms, Maggie! No more looms! :)
    I think that's wonderful. What an incredible find.

    ReplyDelete