Friday, June 1, 2012

Undulating Waves Scarf

Late last year, I inherited the undulating waves scarf kit from my friend Janet who stated that the beaded knitting totally defeated her.  I had queued this pattern to try out and Janet decided to give me her kit to finish.
The colors of the kit were right up my alley and I proceeded to decipher the pattern and make my own chart to keep track of what needed to happen.  It took forever to string all the beads.  This pattern has the beads strung onto the yarn before knitting as opposed to all my prior beaded knitting experience where I would reach the stitch where the bead should go and just use a crochet hook to add the bead.

It was a good thing the yarn was some kind of plant material and slick.  Pushing beads along the way was very tedious.  I will probably never knit this kind of pattern again.

The pattern was also a little confusing as there are two lace patterns.  After almost finishing the scarf, did I realize I should have alternated the charts one right after the other instead of using one chart until 14 repeats of the pattern were finished before moving onto the second chart.  The instructions stated that I should have been have to do 14 repeats of the first chart and 13 repeats of the second chart.

Alas, there were only enough beads to complete the first chart and only 6 repeats of the second chart.  I'm glad the scarf is done and it will be going back to Janet as a finished project.  The yarn plus the beads make the scarf pretty hefty.

1 comment: