Thursday, August 30, 2012

New KIVA loan to a Weaver

With a balance in my KIVA portfolio, I found Mario who is looking for a loan.
Here is his story:

Mario is a weaver who specializes in hand-woven Zapotec rugs and handbags. He would like to expand and improve his workshop and invite other weavers to collaborate with him. He also plans to stock up on materials, such as wool.

Mario has been selling through NOVICA since 2004. This is his story:

"I come from a family of weavers in Mexico. It is a legacy I inherited from my great-grandfather. Nowadays, my designs are different from those of my great-grandfather, but my aim is to preserve and promote the beauty of the Zapotec art. We dye the wool with natural colorants such as cochineal, walnut tree bark, and local flowers. We work on pedal looms, a process that can take anywhere between one day and a whole month, depending on the size and design."

"I want to thank you for making it possible for us to preserve the art of Zapotec weaving and share our designs with the world."

Use the link below to view Mario's rugs on the NOVICA site:
http://www.novica.com/artistdetail/index.cfm?faid=4567

1 comment: