Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Yarn Diet 2011

I happened upon another blog from a fellow San Diegan who is starting her yarn diet.  You can read about it here.  Tami listed the rules as follows:


Length of time: January 1st-June 1st or until over half of your stash is gone. Obviously it's pretty hard to use every single little piece of yarn in each skein/ball/cake/hank, so if it's down to the point you can find much to do with it, then that is considered finished.

What may be purchased in that time: During the yarn diet, the participant is allowed to buy yarn 5 times. At each purchase, you may spend or buy however much you want. This includes LYS, box stores and even online shopping (basically any yarn purchases). You may also still buy as part of a swap and/or gift. Also, if you short less than half the skeins to finish a project (let's say you're making a scarf and you run short of yarn by 1 skein) you are able to purchase JUST that ONE item and it won't count against you.

Punishment: For each time you go past the 5 given times you may purchase yarn during January 1-June 1, you will have another month added to the yarn diet, which will not include another chance to buy yarn for that month.



I can tell from coldsheeping since June of last year, that it is almost impossible to make a significant dent in your "stash" in such a short amount of time unless you really don't have a "stash" which you obviously know that I do.


I'm happy that my stash numbers are going down and not up!  From my last update here, you can see that I'm only down 1,477 yards from where I started. At the rate I'm going, I'm never going to get off the sheep in my lifetime.  It is a struggle but I last purchased yarn in August so I think my will power is holding firm.


I'm going to join her and report back at the end of May to see if I can be successful.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining the yarn diet! Hopefully we can all help each other great through. I can't believe you've already been on one since August. Very impressive!

    I'm not sure where in SD you live, but I go to a crochet/knit group every other week on Tuesdays if you're interested! We have different people coming each week and would love to have more! Let me know if you're interested and I can give you details.

    ReplyDelete