Monday, May 23, 2011

Sheep to Shawl - Can I Be A Winner?

I have participated in a few truncated sheep to shawl events in the past few years.  Every time there is a demonstration, quite a few people in the spinning class spin roving to specification and Margaret Tyler then does all the figuring and then warps the loom.


At each event, the end result is a shawl.  Everyone who participated in the spinning or the demonstration are entered into a drawing and I've yet to win a finished shawl.  I'm thinking it must be my bad luck again.


For this last demonstration, I did spin some of the yarn but instead of placing my name in the drawing, I'm going to defer to the drawing for the shawl to be demonstrated at the Del Mar Fair.  This particular shawl has mohair and I can't wear any mohair since I end up with a rash.


The Del Mar Fair shawl is made up of white merino and merino top in two colors.  The method of spinning is to take a staple length of each of the colored top and spin them consecutively so there is a color change.  After that single is done, it will be plied with the white merino giving it a barber pole effect.


Here are the fibers that we got for spinning the warp.
Here is the finished 2 ply yarn with a wpi of between 12 - 16.
I will be weaving at the sheep to shawl event on June 19 at the barn at the Fair so if you are interested in seeing this stuff in person, come by and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment