Sunday, May 22, 2011

Soda Jerked Beans

I had taken some cooking classes at the UCSD Cancer Center last year and one of the recipes that I have made repeatedly has been jerked beans.  It was part of the fiber class and boy were there a lot of fiber meals that overwhelmed my poor system.


I made a batch of jerked beans for my spinning peeps when we got together to spin and it went over really well.  I paired it with my fennel pain au lait buns.
It is very easy since it cooks in the crock pot and there really is no prep work except to dice the peppers and the onion.


Before:
After:
Here is the recipe:


12 oz of Soyrizo (optional) - adds a little kick but keeps it vegetarian
28 oz can of diced tomatoes in juice, drained
15 oz can vegetarian baked beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can butter beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sparkling apple juice soda
1/2 cup italian lemon soda
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon dried savory
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook for 3 to 4 hours.  Season with salt and pepper if needed.


I have never added any salt and pepper and have substituted regular soda and sometimes with only one type of soda.  I have also changed up the types of beans even though I only used the cans.


The meal definitely tastes better the next day so I cooked this the day before our get together and baked the bread fresh that day.


The only downside was at the end of the day when I walked out my guests, I came back in to see both dogs eating the pan of fennel buns.  I guess I will need to bake some more and the dogs will go without food for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment