Wednesday, May 23, 2012

CNCH 2012 - Day 1

I was enticed by my friend Jude to attend the Conference of Northern California Handweavers in Oakland.  I took a few classes and saw a gallery of hand made items and saw and bought from fiber vendors.  It was a great time.


I arrived on Thursday evening and we took an accidental scenic drive to Treasure Island before heading for home.
 Looking toward the city by the bay.
We went to register on Friday where we were able to scope out the vendors.  My first purchase was a pair of sandals from the Bay Area Comfort Footwear since I developed blisters on the back of my heels from a new pair of shoes.

Next we hit Carolina Homespun where I picked up a support spindle bowl and a distaff.
And Jude learned to spin on a treadle wheel - of course you can see we only go for the best equipment.  She is spinning on a Schacht Cherry Matchless wheel.
We visited with Dreamy Goat Designs where we saw a demonstration of a Pat Green electric carder.
It was then on to the Glimakra USA booth with the Halls.  Jude sat down at a countermarche loom and started weaving with Joanne Hall's guidance.
Here is the woven area where Jude used two colors to weave.
We were shopped out by closing and I was pretty good but of course there were 2 more days left.  Jude's last purchase was a woven basket - the colors of the baskets from Maendeleo were amazing.
After we got home, the cats were mighty interested in that basket.



1 comment:

  1. A cat that knows quality in basketry. My cat was born in an alley, under a car or something. He likes to sleep in plastic grocery bags. Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete