Sunday, May 6, 2012

Threading the Heddles and Winding the Beam

I'm moving right along in the progress of the Learning to Weave saga.


It took a bit of contortion but the heddles are threaded in the pattern of 1-2-3-4 which seems a bit backwards to me.  When looking at it from the back, the instructions stated to start with the far right side and start threading heddle 1, then 2, followed by 3, and ending with 4.  I went from right to left following this convention.


When I moved back to the front of the loom, when I depress the treadle to lift heddle 1, the threads lift from the left at position 1, skipping 3 and lifting the 5th.


This seems backwards to me since I figured that when I depress heddle 1, the far right should lift, skipping 3 and lifting the 5th.  Hmmmm...


From the back, tied on the back beam.
From the front, tied on the cloth beam.
The wound up back beam.
The sheds from lifting shafts 1 through 4.  A very clean shed.


The warp seen from the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment