Wednesday, July 3, 2013

And the Blue Ribbon Goes To.....

I decided to enter my Less is More Sweater in the Black Sheep Gathering Fiber Arts competition.  I thought it was pretty ambitious and Cynthia Herron was judging and I thought "what the heck, I am her mini-me" so maybe she would see my genius at work.
Well low and behold, I won a blue ribbon for my class.
I had no chance at the grand poobah prize, but I was super happy with my winning.  The winning sweater was made of merino and had a beautiful cable pattern.
I was so enamored I somehow got myself entered in the Spinner's Lead which is a competition of shepherds leading their animals wearing something made from their fiber.  For those of us city folks, we were able to borrow an animal.
Since my sweater was primarily made from merino, I was able to borrow a white merino sheep from Mendenhall Wool Ranch.  
I was followed by the grand prize winning sweater and she also had a borrowed sheep from Mendenhall.  I think her sheep was the aunt to my sheep.

It was pretty hilarious as my sheep wanted to turn circles endlessly.  Someone took video which I have yet to receive but I will post if I get a link.  Here are some pictures of me and my "borrowed" sheep.
At the end of the night, each participant was judged and prizes awarded.  The merino sweater lady won another grand poobah prize of a $100 gift certificate. I walked away with some fiber and it was telling that the 12 oz bump is of next year's highlighted breed of CVM/Romeldale.

1 comment:

  1. Mags, hooray for entering the Spinners Lead. I think you look like a natural handling that sheep! How cool you could borrow a sheep from Mendenhall Wool Ranch. They bring so many, and so many different breeds, I bet they could loan an animal to almost everyone in the Spinners Lead.

    ReplyDelete