Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Macomber Loom is Almost Dressed

I also spent some time this weekend working on dressing up the new loom.  I discovered that the warp I previously prepared was pretty sticky so I decided to warp from front to back.

The first step was to move the reed to the table for a more comfortable threading.  I had an odd number of threads and did not have any notes on which pattern I intended to use so I picked a M and W pattern from the 4-shaft book.

Once the reed was threaded, I moved the thing back to the loom and then unhooked the back beam and pulled it to the ground.  The brake pedal had to be unchained and I discovered that there was a twisty tie at the end of the chain connecting it to the pedal.  I undid that and decided to replace with some s-hooks.

I had to ask for some treading assistance from Fluffy since I had a brain freeze and my count was all wrong.  She made some suggestions and I created a chart for myself.

I got all the heddles threaded and tied up the treadles for the pattern and once I rolled the warp onto the back beam, I discovered this.
This yarn definitely was meant for two different projects as they are different lengths.  It was all too late so I just cut off the excess and tied it onto the front beam.  The back beam looks very tidy.
I already had a break in one of the threads which necessitated a repair and I think this baby is ready to go.  I will be using some chenille for the weft so it will  hopefully be a fuzzy and soft piece of fabric.

1 comment: