Sunday, September 25, 2011

On The Hunt for The Elusive Chiao Goo Red Lace Needles

I have been knitting my first pair of socks as I detailed here and here.  I made do with some double point needles when I cast on and fiddled with them for the cuff but it is sort of like wrestling match sticks - I think it is an utter failure and my hands were getting cramps.


For the body of the socks I used a long circular needle in US 4 (3.5 mm) and employed the magic loop method which works great for me and keeps all the stitches on the needles.


So at the end of knitting these socks, I need to undo the waste yarn I placed as a holder for the after thought heel.  
Well, I have decided to buy some needles in US 2 (2.75 mm) for knitting the heels on both these socks and decided to buy a pair of the Chiao Goo Red Lace needles.


They have gotten pretty good reviews and seem to be what I need to finish my first pair of socks but they are very elusive.


I posted on Ravelry in the San Diego Knitter's Thread asking if anyone knew of a local shop that carried them and I went on the hunt.


I went by Yarning for You when someone posted that the store carried them.  I was in luck as well since they opened late the night I went by since they have a knitting group.  I was unsuccessful in acquiring the needles but I met some really great women with excellent skills.


My next stop was Chicago since I was called back to the mother ship for some training and I hit Loopy Yarns and there they were - in little cubbys on the wall.  I snatched them up and ran to the register.


I should have taken my socks along for the ride so I could have maybe finished knitting them on the plane ride back.

No comments:

Post a Comment