Wednesday, March 26, 2014

4 Ply Sock Yarn

Back in October 2008, I purchased 4 ounces of super wash merino from Frog Hair fine fibers.
I really loved this color way and it hung around for a bit before I started spinning it.  I spun a bunch of singles which sat around for more time.

After spin group, I needed some more bobbins so I had to ply this up and I ended up with a 2 ply of 28 wraps per inch.  I spun the singles clockwise and plied counter-clockwise.
Since the yarn was so fine, I decided to re-ply the yarn again on itself to end up with a 4-ply yarn.  I used my andean player to prepare for the next stage of plying.
I ended up with a 4-ply yarn with 20 wraps per inch which makes a pretty good sock yarn.  I plied the 2-ply clockwise and the yarn seems pretty sturdy.
A wash is required and the yarn will go into my queue for a pair of socks when I make some serious headway on my works in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment