Monday, August 8, 2011

Inkle Loom Belt

In the 2004 Spring issue of the Schacht Spindle newsletter, there is a pattern for an Inkle Loom Belt.


After taking the inkle weaving class at Black Sheep Gathering and borrowing Fluffysgarden's Ashford inkle loom, I decided to tackle this project.


I first prepared the heddles.  I was told to get some satin cord since it does not catch the warp and makes for smoother weaving.  I purchased the satin cord at Michaels in the jewelry section.
I then tied all the loops and made the heddles.
Following the pattern, I started warping the loom after measuring a warp of 63".  It took a little time as the motions are new and different but I was able to get it all on.
I learned how to tie each strand to the next for the changes in color and the only "weird" part was tying the beginning strand to the last strand.
The satin cord is quite a bit thicker than the warp and it is a little clunky in the movement of the warp but I think I'm ready to go.


The instructions state to use 8 strands together for the weft to give it a scalloped edge, but I think I'm going to weave it straight and see how that goes since it is my first "real" inkle project.

No comments:

Post a Comment