Thursday, January 16, 2014

Polar Vortex

It has been brutally cold for a huge swath of the country and I avoided by the skin of my teeth going into the heart of the beast so to speak.  My trip to Chicago got postponed to February so I am able to bask in the 60 degree temperatures here in sunny Southern California.  Really there is no place like home.

The news coverage of the "event" reminds me of that movie, The Day After Tomorrow where everything in the north freezes.  The map being shown looks like that portrayed in the movie.  It is too cold for words.

Since my office gave me a pass, I was talking to my old boss who is working as a retired annuitant and he stated that it was cold even by Chicago standards and he says they are pretty hardy.  I made him an Australian possum scarf for his retirement and he stated he has been wearing it during the winter.  

This makes me happy so I dug around my stash and found some gray yarn and some leftover variegated yarn and am making the Turn A Square hat by Jared Flood.
The striping adds a bit a flare and I have learned a few new techniques on the cast on as well as the striping.  
Very cool stuff.  I should be finished with it before my trip and I am sticking to my resolutions in that this is a project for someone else and the yarn is from my stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment