Saturday, September 25, 2010

Artisan Trade - I think I won!

So...my aunt is a painter.  She has been generous in the past with letting me pick some of her paintings for display at my house and has gifted me a few of her pictures.


When I talked with her earlier this year, she had seen my blog post about the bears on glacier scarf that I had made which was snatched up at Starbucks.  She expressed an interest in receiving said scarf.


Fast forward to spring of this year, when we were both at my cousin's wedding banquet and to kill some time before it started, we went to a few furniture stores in the same shopping mall as the restaurant.  They had some cool 3 and 4 panel screens which I had been looking into buying for separating the space between my bathroom and bedroom.  When we asked about the cost, they were prohibitively expensive.


Fast forward to early summer when my aunt absconded with an old 3 panel screen that belonged to my uncle who had purchased it at some garage sale.  It was in dire straits and the wood was also distressed.


A bargain was struck.  She would refurbish the screen and add her paintings and I would knit her the scarf.


I finish the scarf before I left on vacation and she finished the screen (painting the frame and mounting her paintings on the panel this month and my parents drove it down when they came for a visit.


Here is the scarf.
Front View
Slanted View


Here is the screen - she had two different themes on each side.
Bamboo
Fancy gold fish and wisteria


I think I won in the trade.  Don't you agree?

3 comments: