Thursday, September 16, 2010

Startitis

Even though I have lots of projects in the works, I can't seem to resist seeing something new and wanting to start it right away.  While I was cruising on Ravelry, I noticed a new KAL (knit a long) with orenburg lace.  It is the Sea of Azov scarf and I was itching to start it since I haven't done anything with the information I learned from Galina.


In keeping with my cold sheeping (no buying new yarn), I decided to scrounge through my stash to see if I had anything that would work.  I found three skeins of Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud in the Iris colorway that I had previously purchased for the Candle Flame Shawl that was frogged multiple times.  So I cast on for the new scarf and even though the pattern had color photos and clear instructions, I was having a problem and ended up consulting my charts from Galina's class.  I figured out what was wrong and then started knitting up a storm.  I have finished with Chart A and still need to work through Charts B - I before the ending border.  The KAL was suppose to start on October 1, but I couldn't wait.  
I remembered that Galina recommended to slip the first stitch on each row so I went ahead and did that.  It made picking up the stitches of the border so much easier.
While digging around the cupboards for the lace yarn, I found the 5 skeins I had of Araucania Patagonia Dark Green cotton yarn.  I had purchased these at Loopy Yarns in Chicago when I was there last and I was so happy seeing that green color and touching the soft cotton.  The yarn is a little slubby and bulky.  I remembered that I wanted to knit the Sunkist Cardigan out of this yarn so I got some needles out and started working on that too.
The Sea of Azov scarf should use up 880 yards of lace weight alpaca and the Sunkist should use up 525 yards of cotton.  Some good numbers for using up some stash and continued cold sheeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment