Friday, November 26, 2010

Avatar Woven Scarf

As part of the project for the Avatar: The Last Airbender Fellowship Pack and Uncle Iroh Tea Pack discussed here and here, I decided to spin up all the batts and weave a scarf.


I decided to use a basic twill called a broken 2/2 twill (mini-herringbone).  I recently learned how to use lease sticks to keep the cross of the warp for easy of threading but it was frustrating to have the sticks flopping around.


I saw an ad for angel wings from Purrington Looms and ordered a set for my Ashford table loom as well as my LeClerc floor loom.
I decided weave starting with Aang and progress through the rest of the characters.  I wove 8 strands of weft of each color and just randomly changed the order of the yarn.

Here is the loom with waste yarn, followed by Aang, Katara, and Appa.
The weaving pattern was 1-2-4-3 and I repeated it twice before selecting another weft color.  I just randomly changed colors as I went along and ended up with the black at the end. 

Here is the completed scarf.
I have enough yarn to warp another scarf and I think I will do a plaid type pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment