Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Garlic Naan

Ever since I had naan, I have been in search of a recipe that would do justice to those served in a restaurant.  I even tried the Trader Joe version discussed here.


I think I have found the recipe.  I recently took a cooking class at Great News with chef Colette Christian.  Her recipe of garlic naan used a food processor which I thought was genius.  She also provided information on how to build your own proofing oven for rising dough.


Ingredients:


5 ounces of milk warmed to 90 to 100 degrees (I used lactose free milk)
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
5 ounces plain yogurt or buttermilk (I used yogurt)
1 egg
16 ounces all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
3 cloves of garlic minced


Steps:


Mix milk, yeast, and some of the sugar in a mixing cup and let stand while gathering other ingredients.


In food processor with plastic blade, add flour, salt, sugar, garlic, yogurt, egg, oil, and milk/yeast mixture.  Blend until the dough comes together.


Place dough in a oiled bowl and proof for between an hour to an hour and a half.
Here is the home proofing oven - 1 storage ziploc bag and a cup or two of boiling water.
After proofing - dough should double in size, divide dough into 4 ounce portions and roll into loose balls and rest for 10 minutes covered.
Roll dough out into a 10" circle on a lightly floured counter.


Preheat large nonstick pan and cook naan on both sides until golden brown in color.
Place naan on half sheet pans lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
You can freeze the naan after wrapping in plastic bags once cooled.  Naan thaws quickly and can be refreshed in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.


I took a few pieces to supper club and the overall consensus was very favorable.  I'm going to make more of these and place them in the freezer for those days I have a craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment