Monday, April 18, 2011

Pygora

I received 2 ounces of green pygora from my friends Fluffysgarden and Juliblue that they obtained from last years Black Sheep Gathering.


Pygora is from a pygora goat which is described as "A Pygora goat is a breed purposely bred and then registered in Oregon by Katherine Jorgensen. She wanted an animal, which would produce fine fiber for hand spinning. She bred the Pygmy, a goat with short, soft down to the Angora, a goat with long silky fleece. The Pygora Breeders Association was formed in 1987. Since then, the Pygora has increased in number and popularity."


The fiber came from Peppermint Pastures Pygora Goats distributed by Paradise Fibers.  The little bag contained a little vial of peppermint scent.


It took a little while, but I finally got a chance to spin this fiber in anticipation of this years Black Sheep Gathering.


The fiber is very soft, but there is quite a bit of vegetable matter and quite a few nepps or slubs.  The single has quite a few spots of bumpiness.  It is listed as fiber type B so maybe there is a higher grade fiber.
I was able to spin 184 yards of a 2 ply lace weight yarn with a wraps per inch (wpi) of 16.  The yarn did bloom a bit and has a slight halo after washing.  I spent some time picking out the vegetable matter and the nepps have evened out a bit.
Now to knit up something quick for around my neck to see if I have a reaction to the goat hair as I do with mohair.  If no reaction, then I might want to buy some more of this fiber as it is very soft and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment