Sunday, April 10, 2011

Where's the Beef

Another work trip took me back through Los Angeles on the way home.  The only problem was that I hit town at afternoon rush hour and the weather had been totally crappy on the drive.  I called up my brother to see what was up for dinner and was informed that dinner was to be at Lawry's at 7:00 pm.


I have been told that I dined at this restaurant when I was under 5.  My dad had gotten a letter from the owner entitling him to a free dinner.  My parents had just taken me to Disneyland - probably the first trip of many in my childhood.  I'm sure at that time, it was a very fancy restaurant requiring formal wear.  Can you just imagine the three of us all disheveled from a day at the happiest place on earth showing up for dinner?  My mother stated she felt totally out of place, but the dinner was great.


So I crashed my brother's dinner party of 6 and had a great time hanging with his friends and enjoying a fine dinner.


The restaurant has home fried potato chips and meatballs for appetizers for FREE!  You order a drink - well one of us did, and the rest of us chowed down on chips and balls.  You really can fill up just eating the appetizers.


We then headed for the dining room and the waitresses were dressed in vintage uniforms which were awesome and there is a meat carver with a rolling cart with a huge hunk of meat.  He also had a really shiny medal...
This is the California cut.  It comes with mash potatoes and yorkshire pudding.  I have never had yorkshire pudding and it was fluffy but very rich.  I'm told you are to use it to sop up the au jus.
This is the Lawry's cut.
There were some other items on the menu.  My brother had some fish, but the theme of the place was prime rib.


There is some kind of club card and discounts offered to keep you going and the place was packed for a thursday night.


After dinner, I had to get back on the road to head home and it started raining pretty hard when I hit Orange County.

No comments:

Post a Comment