Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Zippered Pouch

From a Groupon deal, I signed up for a sewing class at the Cozy Quilt Shop.  All I needed to bring was myself and Val and I signed up together for a class on the same day.


Here we are with our fabric kit selection.
It was a really good class and we made the Zip It Bag from allpeoplequilt.com.  The shop made some changes to include lining and Debbie the instructor walked us through all the steps even the steps to use the Bernina sewing machines.  Here is the sewing machine I used.
The trick to zippers is to use the right sewing machine foot
and start sewing the outside fabric with the lining and sandwiching the zipper.
It turns out the the zipper is pretty easy to sew in but you have to move the flap around the zipper foot.
Here we are with one side finished.
Sandwiching the other side took some thinking but the sewing part was easier.
The resulting piece shows right sides of both the outside and inside fabric.
After pressing and top stitching around the zipper, the edges all had to be squared up.
Boxing the bottom and closing the small opening at the lining of the bag and you end up with a finished zippered bag.
We had enough fabric from the class to make another one, but we need to buy another zipper and some interfacing.  I think I'm going to make a reverse one next.

No comments:

Post a Comment